Monday, November 27, 2006

Another theory - this time with little basis

It is not in natural harmony with the aim behind this blog but here is another theory:

For quite some time I have been convinced that post-modernism is really just another bread of modernism and not as new as it claims. This has mainly been driven by my very limited reading of 19th and early 20th century writing, which suggests to me that the same ideas have been around for ages. I have heard it suggested this week that we ought to start to put a greater emphasis on the term 'post-colonialism', as a more helpful description of where our culture is, and is heading (although 9/11 I think may have changed some things).

The beauty of the term is that brings in the themes of culture, ethnicity, power, etc. which are so important to an understanding of our current climate. In contrast the term post-modernism doesn't is nothing like as rich.

It is just a theory, I haven't thought about it too much, and would appreciate a response by the more knowledgeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment