Monday, July 02, 2007

Concentric circles

The people of Israel shall pitch their tents by their companies, each man in his own camp and each man by his own standard. But the Levites shall camp around the tabernacle of the testimony, so that there may be no wrath on the congregation of the people of Israel. And the Levites shall keep guard over the tabernacle of the testimony.” (Numbers 1:52-53)

The Israelite camp was like concentric circles. At the centre was the Ark and this was surrounded by the Tabernacle itself. The Levites surrounded the Tabernacle and the rest of Israel surrounded them. Each circle protected the next from God's wrath at the unclean entering God's holy presence. Israel is protecting the rest of the world in the way it camps. Israel have their priests, but they are also priests to the rest of the world.

I wonder if it is significant that when the Ark precedes the rest of Israel it is usually (maybe always, I don't know) when they are confronting the world.

1 comment:

  1. yes. it's certainly God and God's promises that lead Israel into the world.

    I've only just noticed how blood in Leviticus is sprinkled in different places and has increasing effect the closer to the centre/ark it is.

    Interestingly in Lev 16 there's the fact that blood goes right INto the centre and the goat carries the peoples' sins right OUT of the camp.

    Having relished your company in full wedding flight recently, it's great to benefit from your online action again. ps I like it short. Chris

    ReplyDelete