Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The many problems with the Mosaic Law

Here are some more notes on the bible (which along with quotes is all I really do on this blog). As usual they are works in progress and not fully formed thoughts.

  1. It was temporary "for when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well." (Heb 7:12; cf. Gal 3:23f)
  2. It doesn't justify "for if righteousness [/justification] were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose." (Gal 2:21) indeed "it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law" (Gal 3:11). Note I say that it 'doesn't' justify and not that it 'didn't'. I think it is harder to show that it 'didn't' justify but there are passages which imply that it never did.
  3. It didn't sanctify for "the law, weakened by the flesh, could not [...] please God" (Rom 8:3-8; cf. Jer 31 and 2 Cor 3 where the problem with the Mosaic law was that it was 'of the letter'/'the written code' and wasn't written on people's hearts by the Spirit). Note I am more confident to say that it 'didn't' here.
  4. It was only a partial revelation for "in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son" (Heb 1:2; cf John 1 and the rest of Hebrews)
  5. It was cursed due to Israel's disobedience this is more controversial and I am struggling to think of a passage to support it. However, I do think there is some mileage in remembering that the law belonged to the Jews, and that the Jews were under a curse (in exile) which Christ took upon himself. Therefore, the law itself had been in some way cursed too, so that to obey it is to identify with a cursed nation rather than the cursed Son of God who unlike the nation was/is able fully 'absorb' that curse on our behalf.

More thoughts to come... Please add your own.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd perhaps notice that in your last two posts you are highlighting how the Law was as you know, at best, able to house-train its adherents. It revealed God and his design for his people, and yet (despite its goodness) was impossible for people to keep and provided no power to do so. I think that's the thrust of Hebrews 8.

    ReplyDelete