Sunday, January 13, 2008

What is going on in a death sentence

When thinking about models for the atonement it may help to reflect on the fact the cross was a death sentence. I was thinking about death sentences the other day and it seems that there are two main reasons behind them:

  1. To punish wrongdoing by satisfying justice
  2. To prevent further wrongdoing by killing the source of wrong

These correlate to the two main models of substitution:

  1. Penal substitution
  2. Christus Victor

These in turn correlate to two emphasises in Christian teaching:

  1. Release from the penalty of sin
  2. Release from the power of sin

I used to think that the second flowed out of the first. Now I think that they both live side by side as different aspects of the same event. An event that his thankfully played out again and again in the lives of believers in Christ. Realising this may make it possible to reconcile Melanchthon and Agricola who saw the problem with sin in the life of the Christian as penalty and power respectively.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment