Monday, July 14, 2008

My top 3 books for seekers

Inspired by this.

What would you suggest? Do you think my limited reading/sin has made me make some bad choices? This is a genuine request for recommendations (but you will have to work hard to persuade me of Mere Christianity/Basic Christianity if you were thinking of those).

I fear that all of these are a bit to nice. Maybe that's because I'm a bit to horrible... I don't know, there is nothing wrong with being nice after all. But you really can feel a difference between those three and John Piper's Seeing and savouring Jesus Christ. I don't think that it is meant to be so much of a 'seeker book' but nevertheless the Jesus presented by Piper is a whole lot more full blooded that the other three... and yet they remain my top 3 books for seekers... go figure.

I think I'm going to read Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears next.

Does anyone else have this nasty dilemma when reading such books, to decide between books which spell out the challenge and the promise of the gospel without neglecting the challenge or putting up unnecessary obstacles (in the form of controversial secondary doctrines) to the gospel?

I still think though that the best thing to do is take someone to a gospel (e.g. with Christianity Explored) or through the bible (e.g. with The World We All Want). Saves all the angst as well, and you can avoid having to add in caveats about how you would phrase things differently!

4 comments:

  1. I'll cheat and start the comments off...

    The Spirituality of the Cross: The Way of the First Evangelicals by Gene Edward Veith may be a good book for Christians who are not evangelicals (although Veith is after Lutheran converts). Not that I think if you are an evangelical you have 'arrived' I hasten to add.

    If I were God— I'd make myself clearer... by John Dickson should really be in there as well. A gem of a little book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I came to faith through Michael Green's tiny book, "why bother with jesus." I still think its phenomenal. I noticed he updated it and renamed it "you must be joking".

    I expect amy orr-ewing's new book, "But is it Real?" will be extremely good.

    I like Tim Keller's Reason for God, but it is enormous and is hardly inconspicuous.

    I happily give Christianity Explored (the book) away.

    Case for Christ isnt bad, but sometimes makes me cringe.

    I kinda know where you're coming from with Lewis, but I'd happily give away
    - the weight of glory
    - mere christianity (especially chapters of it)
    - problem of pain
    - surprised by joy

    I've never read stott's Basic Christianity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recalling your comment I went out today and bought 'You can't be serious' by Michael Green. Which is apparently an update to 'You must be Joking'. I think I bought the wrong thing though!

    Never mind.

    I've also put 'But is it real?' on order.

    What you say about Keller is right. Only if someone was really wanting to grapple would I give it away. But I think it's great for Christians to digest it.

    I forgot Christianity Explored (the book), that is good.

    ... hmmm, I keep on reading but I think the best books for seekers may well be the ones Christians read themselves and provide them with the passion and the ideas to engage with non-Christians individually in conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear. ive not read you cant be serious, nor you must be joking. i just remember reading the back and it sounded exactly like why bother...but having looked on tinternet, it says "this is not a book for non christians". sorry. why bother is probably out of print.

    on a shorter note, i still think nicky gumbel's why jesus? is very good, more seeker savvy than 2wtl.

    hope you're well

    ReplyDelete