So you are doing an overview of the bible. The covenant with Abraham has to be one of the first events you choose to tick off. Perhaps you will start with Genesis 12:1-9 where he is called to the promised land, to be made a great nation, and to be a blessing to the whole world. Would you then carry on to look at verses 10-20?
Session 4 of The World We All Want does go on to look at those verses, and I am now convinced that you should do. Not only do you see the first partial fulfilment of God's promise that 'I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse', but you see the sin of his people, and the overcoming grace of God. Great stuff!
Definitely - I preached on that recently under the title 'The First Missionary Journey of the Early Church.'
ReplyDeleteAbram was meant to bring blessing but through sin brought curse while, by the sovereignty of God, the Egyptians brought blessing to him. In the end he comes up greater than before (foreshadowing Exodus, foreshadowing cross).
And the whole thing is framed by the altar between Bethel and Ai (12:8; 13:3). Between the house of God and the ruin (that's what the names mean) the place of sacrifice is where sinful Abram can return and call on the name of the LORD.
But immediately we're told Abram is not up to blessing the world! It's the LORD's work
Does 'The World We All Want' go on to verses 10-20?
ReplyDeleteOoops. I didn't make that clear. I'll edit that. Yes it did - credit to it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your first comment as well. Good points, and a good title for a sermon.