Saturday, August 21, 2010

The fact of assurance

Well did James Denney once observe that whereas assurance is a sin in Romanism, and a duty in much of Protestantism, in the New Testament it is simply a fact.

(JI Packer, Knowing God)

2 comments:

  1. Is it possible to be assured of God's promises, but to doubt one's own ability to perservere in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. It is, but God's promise this side of the cross is not just to be faithful to us, but that we (in Christ) have already been faithful to him! (ala Torrance in this post which providentially I was just typing as I read your comment.)

    It has long struck me, since first reading Wright years ago, that you very rarely see Paul involved in critical self-reflection. He has this enormous confidence in his calling and salvation, even while openly confessing to be a great sinner. I can't say I experience that same level of assurance, but that is what faith is I think. So I think Denney's comment about the NT witness is accurate.

    Our assurance, and all our salvation is only by faith/extra nos/in Christ. I think you're rightly concerned that our assurance is not by sight and in ourself, but that's an amazing thing about the Gospel. It is true even though it contradicts so much of our experience (although not all of it, I hasten to add).

    ReplyDelete