I have found these lectures very thought-provoking over the last week (HT Justin Taylor):
• John Owen: The Man and His Time
• John Owen and the Practice of Theology
• John Owen on God
• John Owen on Christ
• John Owen on the Holy Spirit
It is not so much the content that has challenged me, but the passionate and enthralling picture of a way of doing theology that is quite alien to me, and that I have largely rejected.
Owen, in concert with most of the church throughout history, was very willing to be creative in his theology. Also in common with the historic church, he particularly enjoyed contemplating the nature of the Godhead. I have seen the danger of both these trajectories, but perhaps need to listen to the church more and contemplate their great helpfulness too. I will have to do some thinking on this.
Highly recommended anyway. Thank you Carl Trueman.


No comments:
Post a Comment