By definition, justification must be by grace. Since the eyes are organs of judgment in Scripture, to find "favor in one's eyes" is to be justified. Plus, "favor" just means "grace."
We can put it more strongly: Justified by grace is redundant, since "justified" means "grace in one's eyes."
The author of Genesis says:
The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the Lord said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them." But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
[...] Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation. Noah walked with God.
John Calvin comments on Genesis 6:8:
['Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord'] is a Hebrew phrase, which signifies that God was propitious to him, and favored him. For so the Hebrews are accustomed to speak: [...] here Noah is declared to have been acceptable to God, because, by living uprightly and homily, he kept himself pure from the common pollutions of the world; whence, however, did he attain this integrity, but from the preventing grace of God? The commencement, therefore, of this favor was gratuitous mercy. Afterwards, the Lord, having once embraced him, retained him under his own hand, lest he should perish with the rest of the world.
I'm thinking about justification at the moment. The only one of these three quotations I totally understand is John Calvin's so I think I've got some more thinking to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment