[This is an attempt to bring together things I've learnt over the last few months from Martin Luther, David Powlison, Gerald Bray and Tim Keller. I've put them into practice to varying degrees, but thought I'd write it all down to help me remember. I've also made myself a pretty A5 sheet, although now I've written it I think I'll remember the content anyway.
Written schemes are helpful to avoid mental blocks and to keep some 'balance' between listening/speaking, yourself/others, praise/request etc. But Luther has two good warnings to heed too: "if in the midst of such thoughts the Holy Spirit beigins to preach in your heart with rich, enlightening thoughts, honor him by letting go of the written scheme. Be still and listen to the one who can do better than you can"; and, "take care, not to undertake all of this or so much that one become weary in spirit."]
- LISTEN to the Bible as God instructs us. Ask questions:
- What does it say about God? What does it say about who he is and about what he does?
- What does it say about us? What are we meant to be and what has gone wrong?
- What happens next? What has God done about this and what does he expect of us in the light of what he has done?
- THANK God for what the Bible reveals about God's character, our situation, God's actions and how we should relate to him.
- CONFESS how you need God because of its:
- Sin's oppression (in your circumstances and in your heart)
- Your active collaboration in its rule
- ASK God to show mercy and act hear us and act in:
- You
- To change our circumstances
- To change us (wisdom and love)
- To display God’s glory
- Prayer list
- To change our circumstances
- To change us (wisdom and love)
- To display God’s glory
- Church and world
- To change our circumstances
- To change us (wisdom and love)
- To display God’s glory
- Meditate on CHRIST and praise him (in his past, present and future work) is the fulfilment of all you heard from the Word about God, and assures us of forgiveness, sanctification and the transformation of all things.
No comments:
Post a Comment