Heh. I have wondered whether it's simply pride that won't allow people to receive freely. And I'm not even talking about "other" people who opt for atheism or an alternative works-based religious scheme of salvation. In my own life, when my faith is being shaken, it tends to be because I have somewhere shut myself off from receiving Christ's love and forgiveness
At any rate, I thoroughly appreciated this post :)
The reason I asked the question is because it is SO, SO hard not to lapse into thinking that way. I see it in myself and others. I have to stop myself all the time.
Pride is definitely part of it Heather. It is social as well as individual pride I think. Our whole society is based on reciprocation. No wonder we can't break the pattern.
Amen!
ReplyDeleteTherefore preachers: "Offer Christ"
DON'T "set out the conditions whereby Christ might be yours".
Glen
What a great statement!
ReplyDeleteWhat's so hard about that?
Heh. I have wondered whether it's simply pride that won't allow people to receive freely. And I'm not even talking about "other" people who opt for atheism or an alternative works-based religious scheme of salvation. In my own life, when my faith is being shaken, it tends to be because I have somewhere shut myself off from receiving Christ's love and forgiveness
At any rate, I thoroughly appreciated this post :)
Heather
The reason I asked the question is because it is SO, SO hard not to lapse into thinking that way. I see it in myself and others. I have to stop myself all the time.
ReplyDeletePride is definitely part of it Heather. It is social as well as individual pride I think. Our whole society is based on reciprocation. No wonder we can't break the pattern.
Glen,
Great point.