Good headings from Stephen Altrogge, with my thoughts afterwards:
- Do Respond Humbly
- Requires you to know yourself a sinner
- Do Identify With Their Struggle
- Requires you to know yourself to struggle with similar, if different, sins
- Don't Act Shocked
- Requires you to know them, and all humanity. Sin is not a surprise, even in a Christian.
- Don't Blow It Off
- The initial, very strong, temptation. Count to ten, let the sinfulness of sin sink in. They know the sinfulness of sin so show that you know it as well.
- Do Follow Up Later
- Change is slow, and until we die temptations will probably recur. Even if not, the devil's accusations about past sin can eat away at assurance.
- Do Remember the Gospel
- The most important. Absolution should overshadow all confession. The announcement of their forgiveness. Also talk about the promise of freedom in Christ and our future hope.
Always open to more thoughts if people have them.
Preaching on 1 John 5 (including v16) last night. I've been struck that John's first (and only!) thought was: Pray!
ReplyDeleteWe often apply pressure (accountability structures, rehearsing the reasons it's bad, etc). John says apply prayer. Funny how we don't immediately go there.
Glen
I would be very slow to accountability structures... I'm too 'nice' and lazy. But I am slow to prayer, although increasingly appreciating why it should be at the forefront.
ReplyDeleteBut isn't 1 John 5 talking about observing sin in someone, not someone confessing sin to you?
"apply pressure... apply prayer". That's memorable. I hope you're going to use that.