Listening to: Sovereign Grace: The Cross-Centred Life
We tried to cut God out of the picture...
But God
- We were still running away when God took the initiative.
rescued us from God
- We have many secondary things we need to be rescued from, but our ultimate problem is God and his wrath.
by God
- We are powerless to save ourselves, but God in sending his Son and pouring out his Spirit has rescued us.
to God
- We are brought to receive many secondary gifts (good works, wealth, health, heaven, etc) but the ultimate gift is a relationship to God himself.
for God
- Our happiness is not the end of this story. It is all to, and for the purpose of, the glory of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
I was reflecting this evening about where in the story I tend to cut God out of the picture... probably all over the place:
- I don't celebrate that God has predestined the gathering in of his people and think that it is down to chance and human decision.
- I don't show the full depth of the seriousness of our plight, as I describe our unsatisfied longings, or even death, as the worst consequence of sin.
- I don't trust that the cross achieved our salvation, but think that it just made it possible. I doubt that the Spirit can do anything without our permitting him to first.
- I don't treasure God himself, but love the gifts far above the giver.
- I see myself as the end of history. God was acting to save me - end of story. Even if I see God throughout the story, I see myself at the centre.
Where do you cut God out of the story you tell yourself and others?
"For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen." (Rom 11:36)
No comments:
Post a Comment