Friday, September 02, 2011

Progressive revelation in Hebrews

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son

Hebrews begins with one of the clearest statements of progressive revelation in the Bible. But by 1:6 the author is quoting from the Song of Moses where the God who saved Israel out of Egypt is identified with the Son (cf. Jude 1:5).

By 2:2-3 the author is arguing, from the lesser to the greater, that if under the old covenant the punishment was severe how much more careful should we be to enter the rest. But then in 4:2 he says that "good news came to us just as to them", so they already had the good news and were looking forward to just the rest that we are promised.

Lots to think about.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Good to meet you last weekend. I've found your blog!

    Just wondering... how does Heb 1:1-2 teach progressive revelation? Is the author actually saying anything about the *content* of the revelations given?

    As you say, he goes on very quickly to show that the prophets were speaking about Jesus. Do you think he might actually be making the opposite point? Ie that revelation is and always was about Jesus?

    Love the blog. Very stimulating. I've been poking around a little bit and like :-)

    In Jesus

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair comment. This was a very hastily written post and you're quite right that it doesn't say anything about the content.

    Hmmm.... I do think there is progressive revelation of some kind (I do think the NT's talk of mystery demands it). Although I admit I'm struggling these days to say exactly what is revealed that wasn't before.

    Good to meet you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    I think it works a bit like this: http://danielblanche.blogspot.com/2010/03/it-came-out-of-nowhere.html

    Progressive revelation that only really falls into place when Jesus is there...

    Maybe?

    ReplyDelete