Was there one?
I'm not convinced. Partly because sermons on Colossians I have heard always seem to take a long time explaining it because it is not at all clear from the text. And whenever they have finished explaining it I never feel that anything has been added to the exposition.
However false teachings clearly are in view. Paul's purpose for the letter seems to be found in Colossians 2:1-5:
For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face, that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments. For though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the firmness of your faith in Christ.
Focussing on this particular passage we learn that:
- Paul had not met the Colossians and Laodiceans (suggesting a more general purpose of creating a relationship and general encouragement)
- He intended the letter to be read in two places, so it has a general purpose to both communities.
- He sees false teaching as something that may come and which needs preventative rather than restorative medicine (note the future tense of many of the mentions of false teaching).
- He rejoices in their order and faith (again suggesting that nothing is afoot as yet).
A bit of a rambling post but hopefully you get my drift.
Plea to preachers: don't get sidetracked from the exultation of Christ which is so clear in this wonderful letter.
No comments:
Post a Comment