Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Look

Thanks to Sovereign Grace Music for bringing this old hymn alive with a modern setting (you can download the mp3 free here). I didn't know the hymn before but the words are amazing.

In evil long I took delight,
    Unawed by shame or fear;
Till a new object struck my sight,
    And stopped my wild career.

I saw one hanging on a tree,
    In agonies and blood;
Who fixed his languid eyes on me,
    As near his cross I stood.

Sure, never till my latest breath,
    Can I forget that look;
It seemed to charge me with his death,
    Though not a word he spoke.

My conscience felt, and owned the guilt,
    And plunged me in despair;
I saw my sins his blood had spilt,
    And helped to nail him there.

Alas! I knew not what I did,
    But now my tears are vain;
Where shall my trembling soul be hid?
    For I the LORD have slain.

A second look he gave, which said,
    "I freely all forgive;
This blood is for thy ransom paid,
    I die, that thou may’st live."

Thus, while his death my sin displays,
    In all its blackest hue;
(Such is the mystery of grace)
    It seals my pardon too.

With pleasing grief and mournful joy,
    My spirit now is filled;
That I should such a life destroy,
    Yet live by him I killed.

One of the best things about blogs is you can save stuff for yourself at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment