Monday, October 03, 2011

Justifying Job

Job, is one of many Biblical books that I struggle to understand. But here is one take on it you don't often hear... it's a book about justification!

  • The opening scene: the great accuser (trans. Satan) appears before God. God justifies his servant Job, declaring him righteous before Satan, but Satan declares God's verdict to be false (not for the first, or last time). Satan de-justifies God.
  • The dialogue between the 3 friends and Job: The friends take on Satan's accusing role and reason like this:
    • God is just + Job is suffering => Job is unjust
    Job works with similar logic, but to his credit only toys with the conclusion and doesn't commit to it:
    • I am just + I am suffering => God is unjust
  • Elihu: Elihu is a bit difficult to pin down. He recognises that Job is trying to justify himself by de-justifying God. He justifies God himself, but he doesn't justify Job. He anticipates God's speeches, but he only has some light to shed on Job's confusing darkness.
  • God's speeches: God has two points in his two speeches:
    1. Give up on your logic-games. Job is just and I am just. How those are both true you will never be able to fathom by reason... so give up the quest.
    2. I control the accuser who brings suffering, so there is hope in me as the only one who can tame the leviathan of Satan.
  • The epilogue: Job repents, God justifies Job before his friends and the whole world. He declares him righteous and justly gives the blessings of wealth and health which belong to the righteous.

I've blogged about this a little before, so I'll be bold and quote myself saying it quite well!

Elihu was angry with Job because he was 'justifying himself rather than God' (32:2) and YHWH isn't too happy about that either (40:8). But actually Elihu admits that he wants to justify Job (33:32) and YHWH does so in the end too (42:7). Job is justified through YHWH's own justification. Only when YHWH is allowed to be just in a way above human comprehension, can we too be justified.

3 comments:

  1. ooo i like this dave! been musing on a phrase "canon within a canon" I found in Timothy Ward's book, Words of Life (a book I think I should love but find myself having slight but consistent divergences from) - strikes me seeing this justifying word of god within the canon really does open up the whole canon. It's inexhaustible - it's "the secret hidden in plain sight" you might say! I feel like if I had time and energy I'd work through what this means for comprehension/fathomability/rationality (I'm convinced different things are being conflated) but frankly this is so good I just dont want to! C

    hmm, here's a stab at what I mean more fully fleshed out. As Jenson might say, the canon is the measure of God and ourselves by the story of God and ourselves in the two great stories which hold the canon together: of the LORD ("watch and learn") God of Israel who brought Israel (his adopted son) out of Egypt; and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who raised him (his eternal son) from the dead. Jenson says that the two names and the two narratives are one name and one narrative hold the canon together. That's beautiful, and for me the lynchpin would be "who is my God? who is his Son?" Namely, justification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    Thanks. I probably am conflating comprehension etc a bit carelessly. After all, I don't really believe that it is irrational that God is just and the justifier of the ungodly. Not least because this is pre-cross after which things become somewhat more comprehensible (although not entirely).

    I haven't read Timothy Ward. It got really good reviews from people I respect a great deal and I was hoping to go to the conference in Sheffield where he was speaking but other commitments clashed.

    I like what you say from Jenson. Did you get that from his Systematic Theology? You make interesting use of the phrase 'canon within a canon'. Who is my God? and who is my son? are probably the great questions. Thanks for sharing.

    Out of interest, how would you summarise the message of Rom 3:4 in the light of the whole chapter and psalm 51?

    I think what has been really helpful for me is realising that Jesus is not just the Word of God in the sense that he reveals who God is, but he is also the Word of God who declares who we are (righteous, sons etc) - and what God says is creative and powerful. Living and active... God declaring over Jesus and us 'this is my son in whom I am well pleased' stands right at the heart of all that is wonderful I think.

    Sorry that was a bit rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dave,

    Very helpful! Thanks for posting your thoughts.

    Gratefully,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete