Monday, December 27, 2010

Is this right?

The Father serves the Son. The Son serves the Father.. The circle is the circle of servanthood." (my italics, p. 80, Darrell W. Johnson, Experiencing the Trinity)

I know some of my readers know their Trinitarian theology better than me, but I cannot think of a verse that would suggest that the Father serves the Son. Certainly, the Son glorifies the Father and the Father glorifies the Son (although even that is not simply circular I don't think). Also the Father gives (life) to the Son. But doesn't the Son obey the Father and not vice versa?

3 comments:

  1. First thought in my mind is to ask along (eastern) orthodox lines, as to me this might suggest there is no originator in God (related to the "are there 2 originators" question in the filioque discussion), which (thinking out loud) might actually be a neat fit for those who reject the language of God as unoriginate originator altogether...by contrast, if you're right (and i think you are) that there is asymmetry, that would seem to constitute an argument that we not only can but must talk about and argue for a ground of all being (in the Father who begets & loves his Son and shows him all he does). But I would say that...

    P.S. when I say ground of all being, that may be what but not who God is. And (as usual) following Merold Westphal, I'm not saying that the ground of all being should be entirely susceptible to human reason on reason's terms, as that combo would be susceptible to Heidegger's critiques of 'ontotheology'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be right insofar as serve is taken to mean "works for the glory of", but the glory of God is his love, which is asymmetrically enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that makes sense to me. Thanks Chris.

    Similar to the question, who serves who. Christ the church, or the church Christ. The Bible says both, although we serve by right (we are not our own) and Christ serves as a gift.

    Similarly, the Son ought to glorify to the Father but the Father "gives" Christ the glory (and "life in himself" and "judgement" etc).

    ReplyDelete