In some neglected corners of the web I've found a few unique talks that others may be interested in:
- Speaking To, Of, and For the Triune God by Robert Jenson (at the 2010 Lutheran CORE Theological Conference)
- God's Decision and Our Decision by Gerhard Forde (at Mount Carmel Ministries)
Fantastic.. As soon as I find my copy of 'trinity in a pluralistic age', I'm gonna re-read vanhoozer's take on jenson's 'god from the beginning' and 'faithful to the end' and get a post out over christmas. That said, have u heard those terms before? Don't suppose u know where they come from in jenson's work? Definitely resonated with his talk here. God bless you Dave. No wait, that won't do at all: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places!!
ReplyDeleteHello again Chris,
ReplyDeleteThink you can read most of it on google books if you want. I have never read more than an essay or two of Jenson's. Dave Bish may know. About all I (mis?)understand is that Jenson idiosyncratically sees the eternal Trinitarian relations as having their origin in the economy of salvation ("this day I have begotten you" etc - which is presumably the "faithful to the end" bit [the Gospel is the end of history after all]?), rather than the economy reflecting the eternal Trinitarian relations which existed before creation "God from the beginning"?). But I don't know the terms so I may be wrong. You probably know more than me. If I remember rightly I quite like how Glen has handled the question in the past (while not directly engaging Jenson).
Interestingly fits with a general Lutheran understanding of what comes after being more fundamental than what comes before (e.g. Law THEN Gospel), in contrast with a Reformed preference for what comes first.
I use "God bless" a lot. And the way I use it may be linked to how I tell alternative narratives testifying to a different god. I.e. God is the person defined by how he helps you through X or Y in your life, not defined by the work of Christ who therefore helps you through X or Y in life. There is a post in that I think.
Great stuff (on this blog) about Forde. Thanks for featuring many of his quotes. My pastor (Mark Anderson) was a student of Forde and is a strong Fordeian with a great gift for preaching and teaching Forde's brand of theology.
ReplyDeleteI'm not some much suggestion that you visit my blog, but rather that you might listen to and share some of the mp3's of Pastor Anderson that I have on my blog. Some of them are no less than outstanding.
http://theoldadam.wordpress.com/category/pastor-mark-anderson/
Try and find, "I Believe that I Cannot Believe"(sermon), and "Loosing the Shackles" (class). Thise happen to be two of my favorites.
You won't regret it.
Thanks.