"whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it" (Mark 8:35)
Still thinking over my previous post on 'perichoretic salvation' I am struck today how, as Peter Mead comments, we often "have the notion that we know about God" already. Cor Deo and the like are excellent at saying 'actually you don't know the half of who God is'. He is much better than you think or could even imagine. I am really thankful for people like them encouraging me to seek to know God better and love him more.
However, this can be perverted (not by them) into saying that we just need more information about God. The cross becomes an exclusively revelatory event and before we know it grace has been lost and we're having to love and emulate this wonderful God in our own strength.
In contrast to this revelatory emphasis I know many will talk about 'gospel' all the time but never about God! We are 'saved', but are left wondering whether salvation all that attractive.
I don't think the answer is to equate the gospel and God. God is the Gospel is probably a great book and a helpful corrective, because without God the Gospel is not good news, but I'm not sure about the title. Perhaps the answer is to keep them distinct but intimately united, not separating them but not equating them either. I.e. lets be Trinitarian about this...
No comments:
Post a Comment