Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Notes on Romans 7

"we are not under law but under grace" (6:15)

"slaves... of sin...or of obedience" (6:16)

"you who were once slaves of sin have become... slaves of righteousness" (6:17-18)

"you were slaves of sin...But now...have become slaves of God" (6:20-21)

"we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code" (7:6)

"I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law... making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members." (7:22-23)

"I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin." (7:25)

"be transformed by the renewal of your mind" (12:2)

"you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts." (2 Cor 3:3)

"Though our outer self [lit 'man'] is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day." (2 Cor 4:16)

"if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." (2 Cor 5:17)

"I bow my knees before the Father... that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith" (Eph 3:14-17)

"put off your old self [lit 'man'], which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self [lit 'man'], created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph 4:22-24)

"seeing that you have put off the old self [lit 'man'] with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator." (Col 3:9-10)

If the "mind" in Romans 7 does not equal the "new self"/"new creation"/"inner self"/"inner being" of the Christian, then I know nothing about reading the Bible. The man in Romans 7 must be a Christian, but a Christian caught in the already/not-yet... That doesn't mean I don't still have questions!

1 comment:

  1. Dave K.,

    Questions are ok. I have them, too.

    You also have a great understanding of our dual nature (in Christ). Saint AND sinner at the same time.

    Keep up the great work here on this blog. It is refreshing to read someone who gets it.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete