Do you have a deeply cherished truth or perspective which you constantly analyse teaching through?
I do, and I often see myself in those proud Oxford Logical Positivist students Brian Magee describes:
[Logical positivism, like Marxism,] constituted a ready-to-hand instrument of intellectual terrorism. At the university in which I arrived as a freshman in 1949 there were many who prided themselves on their mastery of it for this purpose. Almost regardless of what anyone said to them on any subject they would run him through with a 'How would you go about verifying that statement?' or a 'What kind of an answer do you want to that question?' Clever young people were exhilarated by the sense of mastery this gave them.
(p.55, Brian Magee, Confessions of a Philosopher)
Do you have a ready-to-hand instrument of theological terrorism?
What is it?
Do you use it?
That perfectly describes every experience I've had of commenting on atheist blogs.
ReplyDeleteNice new theme!
I suspect most atheistic bloggers are some of the last hold outs of Logical Positivism.
ReplyDeleteA little knowledge is intoxicating sometimes.