This new film directed by Terrence Malick, and starring Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain and Sean Penn, looks exciting.
The film follows the life journey of the eldest son, Jack, through the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years as he tries to reconcile a complicated relationship with his father. Jack finds himself a lost soul in the modern world, seeking answers to the origins and meaning of life while questioning the existence of faith. Through Malick's signature imagery, we see how both brute nature and spiritual grace shape not only our lives as individuals and families, but all life.
I suspect that I won't understand it though! The reviews suggest it is a bit mysterious, and given the director I'm not surprised. His Wikipedia's page includes this gem:
Malick studied philosophy under Stanley Cavell at Harvard University... He went on to Magdalen College, Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. After a disagreement with his tutor, Gilbert Ryle, over his thesis on the concept of world in Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and Wittgenstein, Malick left Oxford without a doctorate degree.
No comments:
Post a Comment